Re: [squid-users] R: [squid-users] R: [squid-users] To HENRIK: is there any problem if I post a page?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:31:30 -0500

On Thursday 20 December 2001 09:06 am, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> > > Here the link to my Cache Manager page. I need to get some comments
> > > about
> > > it, for optimizing my cache!
> > >
> > > http://www.deforma.it/bonny
> >
> > Well, the first that thing that jumps out at me is the number
> > of "Page
> > faults with physical i/o". 53673 faults on 86177 http
> > requests? Yow!
> > That's bad.
> >
> > Are you memory-constrained on this machine?
>
> If 64 MB RAM and 800 MB cache is a "memory-constriction"... yes maybe!

There's your problem. Running Linux + Squid + BIND + whatever else in only
64MB of RAM is trouble. That leaves you precious little RAM (if any) to do
disk caching with, so Squid must physically access the hard disk often.

Looking at the info you referred to earlier (http://www.deforma.it/bonny) I
see that Squid is using 88MB of memory. Even being coffee-deprived as I am
I know that 64MB minus 88MB leaves you with a very unpleasant figure.

Squid likes memory. Put at least another 64MB of RAM in your machine, more
if you can afford it.