[squid-users] HELLP

From: John Szkudlapski <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:16:54 -0000

I have just outputted my cachemgr.cgi, and wondering if you could give me
some insight.... This is the 2nd large scale squid server that i have
done... dont think it is working to peak :(

I really dont know any of the tweaks and other things to make it a great
server, as I dont have the time at the minute to have a loot at it (staffing
issues - longterm sickess for 2 staff)

http://hermes.bsfc.ac.uk/output.html

I noticed that the i/o errors are extremely high.... (actually as Steve
pointed out -28 for requests)

The server is laid out

192.168.1.X ----> 192.168.1.1 (squid Internal1) ----> squid server
192.168.2.X ----> 192.168.2.1 (Squid Internal2) ----> squid server
192.168.3.X ----> 192.168.3.1 (Squid Internal3) ----> squid server
192.168.4.X ----> 192.168.4.1 (Squid Internal4) ----> squid server

The reason is it like this, when i arrived at the college, they were using
an Instant Internet Box (Bay Networks) IPX/IP translation and it was
awful!!!, i ditched it and replaced it with this squid server..., the .1 and
.4 are not currently used, although the cards are working... these will be
put on the new server to split the traffic...

The server is runing ok ( i know you will see that it does not refect this)
and has never locked up or crashed, in over 8 months of operation.. only
down for routine maintenence, etc...

Staff & students have commented on how better the system is now! (although
the stats show that the server is a bit on the unhealthy side :( )

Any help, advice would be amazing!

------------------------------------
John Szkudlapski - Web Manager
Birkenhead Sixth Form College
t: 0151 651 3720
f: 0151 653 4419
m: 0780 154 2033
e: johns@bsfc.ac.uk
w: http://hermes.bsfc.ac.uk

Birkenhead Sixth Form College

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only'
If it has come to you in error please notify compserv@bsfc.ac.uk

The contents of this e-mail are the personal views of the sender,
which may not necessarily reflect those of the college.

This message has been scanned for viruses.
The college cannot accept any responsability for any viruses
which may have come from external sources.