Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD :Diskd ? (WAS: Compile Crash)

From: Dave Raven <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:00:56 +0200

As I see it,

Yes, soft-updates is highly recommended, but is _completely_ different to
async disk io.
I have softupdates turned on on the drive, but I run it in async mode.
The default fBSD disk will run on noasync (not meaning NO async) but that:
Metadata I/O should be done synchronously, while data I/O should be done
asynchronously.

To enable syncronous mode only is actually shooting yourself in the foot,
        (I would think)
I can only see this being done for data safety, which is again pointless.
The
chance of you loosing data is about equal.

Soft-updates has nothing to do with this, its more of a journaling method.
It isnt actually journaling as it should be, but one has to weigh up the
pros/cons
of the soft-updates method.

There are a few articles about this on freebsd.org; I have no links though.

Feel free to comment anyone, as I feel there is a general lack of knowledge
as to the correct file system and what to enable / disable.

        (I speak for myself - as I know very little of it)

Dave.
OpteqSec.