Re: [squid-users] http-accel for two backend and cookies

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:27:17 -0500

On Sunday 23 December 2001 12:07 pm, Skliarouk Arieh wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are going to install squid (in http-accel mode) with two (or more)
> identical backend servers that are using cookies to track users. How
> could I force squid to forward users with the same cookie (or worse -
> the same IP) to the same server?

You may want to check out the rproxy enhancement project:
        http://squid.sourceforge.net/rproxy/

The sticky load balancing is apparently done (based on IP).

> Another questions:
> how fast squid detects that an backend server stopped operationing?
> Is there any other load balancing algorithms but the round-robin?

It handles a downed server very quickly (no more than a few seconds). Out
of the box, it has trouble with up, but floundering, servers. A low
connect timeout or a health check query (also done in the rproxy patch)
will improve that case.

It usually takes about a minute for squid to detect a recovered server.

        -- Brian