Re: [squid-users] Reg. refreshing of cached objects / predicting / ++

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:53:24 -0600

Jorgen Skogstad wrote:

> Kindest ..
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to configure Squid to be a bit more
> "intelligent" as to when it's going to make my objects stale. In essence;
> when a cached object "expires" in my cache I would like the squid cache
> to automatically try to refresh the object .. and not just wait for the
> next request for that object.
>
> In essence; I want to make squid to the "hard" work before any new user
> try to get the expired cached object. The reason for this is that I have
> a highly dynamic site with some pages that are *very* slow .. when these
> pages expire .. I want the cache to automatically get the new object
> even though there is no user(s) requesting it.

Would push serve your needs? You could prepush content either as it
changes or once every day or so.

The Squid push branch is available as a CVS of its source code from
sourceforge.
Here is how to get a copy:

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.devel.squid-cache.org:/cvsroot/squid login
     [blank password, just press enter]

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.devel.squid-cache.org:/cvsroot/squid co
     -r push squid

A basic level of tools (webpush) and documentation (doc/push.txt) comes
with
the branch.

When you read the documentation, keep in mind that the PUT and DIST
stuff passes our internal tests, but I wouldn't use the hints in that
branch
just yet. But your application does not sound as though it needs hint
caching.

Support, more advanced tools and documentation, and consulting help, are
all
available from pushcache.com.

> .. and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!

Merry Christmas, y'all!