[squid-users] Re: Why Squid is great (was: fourth cache off??)

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 01:34:39 -0600

fooler wrote:
> > What does this have to do with Squid? Well, the best way to keep
> > servers near clients, maximizing their effectiveness, is not to buy a
> > really big machine room cache from which to serve the entire company,
> > but rather to buy several, and place each near a different group.
>
> this is true for siblings but what about their parents?

True. But Cache Digests and Hint Cache are alot less bound up with
their parents. A major piont of these protocols is that you
don't have to consult "family" - they already told you in advance
what they got.

> > So what can a Squid vendor do to sell to a T3-connected ISP? If
> > the ISP has just or two offices and POPs, then you're toast. If they
> > have several POPs, well, maybe now we're in business. Sell them one
> > for each.
>
> true if uptime is not important to them, if it is, then sell them at least
> two and load balance it by an L4 switch or LVS

True.

Here's another Squid advantage: if you have something like WCCP, you don't
have to double your costs to get a reliable cluster configuration.

 . . .

> the main reason why squid is great? it is simply because its free! but
> performance point of view, still lots to catch... i must agree with joe
> cooper's statement that its time to overhaul squid. :->

I'm with you on this one, brother. Just because it's real good now
doesn't
mean it can't get alot better!

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com