Re: [squid-users] Ideal cache placement (was Re: Why Squid is great (was: fourth cache off??))

From: Vivek Sadananda Pai <vivek@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:18:33 -0500

Jon Kay wrote:
> > That's not bad for 7 intermediate devices between two machines,
> > and is hardly a death knell for centralized caching within an
> > office.
>
> There is just one thing your measurement fails to capture: waiting for
> the bytes to transit over the 10Mbps link. Do a
>
> ping -s 12000
>
> (the mean Web object size that Squids seem to see is a tad over 12k)
> ...and THEN report back.

I mentioned that the 10Mbps link is between the desktop and one of
the switches on the way to the backbone. The only way you're going
to avoid the bandwidth constraint of the 10Mbps link is to put a
cache at every user. Your hint caches won't eliminate it, so it's
silly to suggest that the transmit time over the 10Mbps link has
any bearing on the argument.

If you have a real point, please make it. Otherwise, if you're
just throwing out random arguments to see which ones stick, I'll
be more than happy to quote my consulting rates :-)

-Vivek