[squid-users] Help: all of a sudden, squid hogging all memory & running out of swap

From: Drenning Bruce <bdrenni@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:19:36 -0500

version 2.3STABLE4 on RedHat 7.1

I've had a nice, stable config for several months. My cache (limited to 3GB)
is on it's own partition ( 4.9 GB) using RieserFS. I began to get complaints
of slowness accessing the Internet today. I looked and noticed my server was
almost out of swap space (256 MB RAM, 512 MB swap). The culprit was squid. I
stopped & restarted squid, but it as soon as it restarted, it began rapidly
eating up all the memory as I write. Under normal circumstances, this server
hardly uses any swap & squid uses 30 - 35% of RAM. Today, squid is using 70%
of RAM & over 220 MB of swap (& growing) is used. What the heck happened?
Has something become corrupt in the cache and caused this? Any advice
appreciated.