Re: [squid-users] Do I need to modify squid.conf parameters?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 22:13:42 +0100

On Monday 31 December 2001 19.34, plendon@microelectronics.com wrote:

> Background info: There are 18 remote proxies running on
> RedHat Linux with 2.2.14-5 kernel. Each of the 18 proxies
> go to one parent proxy on HP-UX 11.0. All squid versions
> are 2.4.STABLE4. All squids were compiled with --enable-
> kill-parent-hack.

Are you sure you want this hack?

Who is the parent of your running squid processes?

From how your start script reads it does not at all look like you should be
using --enable-kill-parent-hack.

> What is happening? Squid has shutdown, but has not
> returned a "Y". Enclosed is the shutdown script.
> Somewhere in the script is a 30 second wait to ensure squid
> has shutdown.

Hmm.. your shutdown script seems rather odd. Most likely caused by the
oddness of "squid -k shutdown".

"squid -k shutdown" only tells Squid to shut down, it does not wait for Squid
to shut down. It if failed to tell Squid to shut down (most likely not
running, or the pid file has been trashed) then it will return false, else
true.

To make a foolproof Squid "shutdown" you need to

squid -k shutdown

if successful, wait for a while. suggested up to 2 minutes or until the last
Squid process disappears.

if Squid processes remains
  log a warning
  kill -TERM any remaining squid processes
  wait again
  kill -KILL any remaining squid processes just to make sure..
endif

available on request