[squid-users] RE: is it caching?

From: DC <dcad123@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:16:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
Thanks for the mail.
> - What is the actual content of your dnscache log
/etc/dnscache/log/main contains files curren and few
other files. I looked in all. Infact I did grep -ir
"freebsd" * to search for a site when I pinged
freebsd.org
> - Have you checked the timestamps and client IP
> addresses in the log lines to verify that you're
> looking at the correct time frame and client
> requests? If not, check out http://www.djbdns.org/,
> search for "logfile formatter".
I will do it. but I think my grep thing was
satisfactory on a crude level assuming that
freebsd.org was never looked up before at all by
anyone.

> - If you run a 'dnsqr' from the console of the
> dnscache (Linux) server does that request show up
> in the dnscache logs?
Well, I did dnsqr from my linux box [ the one which
has the dnscache installed ] and it showed properly in
the logs. But when I did ping from windows box it
didn't show in the logs.
So, I tried a diff. site ping from my linux box and it
was all over in the logs.
In short ping from windows does not come but ping same
site from Linux box it comes in log.

> - If you get ipconfig info from the Windows
> workstation ('ipconfig /all' or 'winipcfg') does
> it in fact show 192.168.10.10 as the primary
> DNS server?
I did winipcfg from windows and it should my linux box
as DNS while o/p of ipconfig /all is somewhat like
this :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.10.10
Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Secondary WINS Server . . . :

WHat can be the problem now? Thanks a lot again and
waiting for replies.
-Shant