Re: [squid-users] squid wccp & linux 2.4 GRE tunnel

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 04:43:13 +0100

On Sunday 06 January 2002 14.28, Joe Cooper wrote:
> The ip_gre module that comes with Linux is broken, and does not
> accept WCCP GRE packets. It must be patched to support WCCP
> packets.

To say that the Linux module is broken is a bit harsh. The standard Linux
GRE module simply does not implement the WCCP GRE protocol type.

If Cisco would have used the standard IP GRE protocol type then the Linux
module (or mostly any standard GRE endpoint) should have been capable of
receiving the WCCP tunnel, but as Cisco for soem reason decided to use a
new GRE protocol type for WCCP encapsulated frames then specific support
at the endpoint is required even if the format used happens to be
identical to that of the standard encapsulated IP GRE format except for
the protocol number...

> I don't have links handy for the patch required, but if you'll
> contact me off-list I can send it to you.

There is a Linux patch linked from Squid FAQ WCCP entry. Is this perhaps
the one you are referring to?

available on request