Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxying and Different Ports

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:57:50 +0100

On Monday 07 January 2002 18.36, Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

> Altough, I've found some webpages that have some links to
> http://something:8080/blabla/bla.html. In this situation, as you can
> imagine, the page is NOT showing. It returns a 404 error, that means,
> page not found.

This is a limitation of ipchains. -j REDIRECT destroys the real
destination port. Only the destination IP is forwarded to the proxy.

What you can do is for each port you are redirecting, set up a identical
http_port in squid.conf and -j REDIRECT to this port. Then configure Squid
with "httpd_accel_port virtual".

> Squid Version: 2.4.S3 compiled from tarball
> with --enable-linux-netfilter
> Linux Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.17 and 2.2.20
> iptables v1.2.4
> ipchains v1.3.10
> ( note I'm booting a real 2.2.20 kernel to test ipchains, and not
> 2.4 with ipchains compatibility module )

I think iptables will work using just a single httpd_port directive. You
will still need httpd_accel_port virtual however. If it does not work then
it can relatively easily be fixed. (not extensively tested)

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer

available on request