Re: [squid-users] modify squid.conf parameters?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 01:00:51 +0100

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 00.45, plendon@microelectronics.com wrote:

> I modified a shutdown script (see enclosed) so that five
> minutes is given for squid to shutdown. The shutdown
> script runs a netstat and lsof before shutting down squid
> and writes the processes to a log (see enclosed). The log
> from the shutdown script tells me that squid has shutdown.
> Squid is shutdown at approx. 9:00pm and restarts at 6:00am.
> When squid was restarted the cache.lg says port 3128 was in
> use can not bind. If squid shuts down successfully, can
> the port still be in use? Is squid not really shutdown if
> port 3128 is still in use?

Sounds very odd.

If there is no squid process running, then Squid is surely shut down and
is NOT listening on port 3128.

Further, if netstat and/or lsof at the time of shutdown shows no sockets
open for port 3128 then there is not.

> How can I ensure that all connections are closed so that
> proxy will start without the message "port in use"? Is
> there anyway that squid can be configured to help out in
> this problem?

I think something else may be attempting to use port 3128 in your system,
or maybe another job starting Squid before?

Extend your script to log running processes, open sockets and lsof at the
time you try to start Squid again. Maybe there you will find what is going
on.

> Next, I looked at cache.lg (see enclosed) and saw that
> "WARNING: Closing client xx.xx.xx.xx connection due to
> lifetime timeout". Is this a clue to why port 3128 was
> still in use?

No.

> Does squid.conf have any parameters that can
> be adjusted to help this particular problem? Suchas,
> liftetime timeout?

Related to the above "connection lifetime timeout" message yes, related to
your "address already in use" message no.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer

available on request