Re: [squid-users] ad blocks

From: Simon Burns <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:29:46 +0000 (GMT)

> One asked where to get the list. Fortunatrely I found
> a complete list of such sites at
> http://ftp.teledanmark.no/pub/www/proxy/squidGuard/contrib/blacklists.tar.gz

From that list: "This list is entierly a product of a dumb robot ... Don't
blame us if there are mistakes" Fair enough, but when I used squidguard I
had many problems with sites being blocked when they shouldn't have been
-- Yahoo, CNN, etc.

I use the Junkbuster proxy to block ads. See www.junkbusters.com for the
source code, and www.waldherr.org for a Red Hat RPM version. Stephan's RPM
version is good because it contains a list of ads to block, so you might
download it just to get that list. You can place it in front of your squid
proxy (it lacks squid's sophistication when it comes to peering, etc):

client -> junkbuster -> squid -> net

I used to publicise the IP and port for the junkbuster and squid proxies,
so users would have a choice of blocking ads or not. You could probably
skip junkbuster altogether and just use its finely-tuned list of
ad-serving sites with squidguard or squid. I think it would be better to
have a squid-only setup if possible: I found that stringing proxies
together tends to affect performance.

HTH,

--
Simon Burns