Re: [squid-users] forwarding looping: acceptable for my config ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:59:21 +0100

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 11.08, Stuart Smith wrote:

> well firstly (when I only had the one entry with me as a parent), I
> tried returning a 404 and also just tried closing the socket and
> returning nothing.

404 errors are considered lethal. Squid won't (and should not) retry the
request then.

The following error types are retried by various reasons:

    case HTTP_FORBIDDEN: (403)
    case HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR: (500)
    case HTTP_NOT_IMPLEMENTED: (501)
    case HTTP_BAD_GATEWAY: (502)
    case HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE: (503)
    case HTTP_GATEWAY_TIMEOUT: (504)

The most correct respose to return in your case is perhaps 504, indicating
that you could not reach the requested resource.

502 is not meant to be used like this.

The request is also supposed to be retried if the connection is dropped
before a response is received, or if the peer refuses the TCP connection.