[squid-users] Radius lookup on IP address (replacement for IDENT) - Content filtering ?

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:18:23 -0500

Hello All,

I have dialup users nationaly who proxy auth against our radius servers.

My radius servers have accounting records with the IP address of the
logged in dial-up user.

The objective here would be to have squid (possibly as a replacement or
wrapper for Ident lookup) query the accounting data of the radius server
to match a username to an IP address.

This would eliminate the need for proxy_auth (which can get very
annoying very quickly), except in cases where the lookup is
unsuccessfull.

What I imagine would be needed would be perhaps to have the radius
server account to an sql database or to have the squid helper-program
query the flat text logfiles looking for a START record matching the IP
address of the source proxy request and returning the latest record
result/username

This would be especialy usefull to use in conjuction with SquidGuard -
to provide inidvidual users custom tailored access profiles.

I have already gotten rad_auth to work (auth.pl with the Authen::Radius
perl module worked fine, the squid_rad_auth program did not compile and
run correctly...)

As an additional Question: Is there any development/patches to allow
squid to filter incoming contents using a 'Content Redirector' helper
program - much as the URL redirector works?

Currently I have seen dansguardian which works by proxying clients thru
the squid proxy server (kludgey in my book) which destroys access
controll and access profile assignments (as you get in squidguard)