Re: [squid-users] "auto-login" problems with newer web browsers

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:27:19 +1100

Your two mime captures simply show
(ie 6) a normal request followed by a 407 - proxy authentication
required
(ie 3) a normal request with proxy authentication followed by a 304 -
object not modified.

This is a client issue - IE and netscape have changed - there is no
change in Squid that I am aware of that will affect that behaviour.

Your best bet is to contact MS or Netscape and get a changelog between
the versions that work and don't work. (Good Luck!).

If squid can do something to assist, feel free to request it here. Some
of us developers will do custom modifications on a time and material
basis. Having said that, IMO there isn't anything (within the HTTP
RFC's) that Squid can do, as it's up to the browser to generate the
credentials (the client doesn't send the http://user:pw@url... to squid,
it turns it into at least two separate lines:
GET url HTTP/1.0
Proxy-Authorization: Basic <encoded user:pw>

Rob

===