[squid-users] Multi-processor squid ?

From: Neville Kuyt <neville.kuyt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:31:12 -0000

Hi,

I've looked through the FAQ and mailing lists, but can't find a response to
this, so pls forgive me if this is a daft question...

We use Squid as HTTP accelerator for 70+ web sites. The performance has been
great, but we found that a sudden traffic spike was causing poor response
times during peak periods. To mitigate this, we decided to press a big Sun
server into service as a Squid cache. It's a 4 processor box with 4GB of Ram
- and it works a treat.

However, as Squid is not multi-threaded (right ?), it only ever uses 1
processor. This seems kinda wasteful - is there any way to persuade Squid to
use more than the 1 processor ? We've tried running multiple instances
listening on different ports, but Squid rightly says "Squid is already
running" and goes away.

Tia

Nev
This e-mail and any attachments are sent in confidence. If you received it
in error (a) please tell us by return e-mail and then delete it and (b) you
must not use, forward or otherwise disclose its contents in any way. Premium
TV have taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to
this e-mail has been swept for viruses. However, it cannot accept liability
for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise
that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.