Re: [squid-users] Urgent Help needed for Squid2.3-Stable5 Installation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:22:10 +0100

Squid needs something, to get rid of the root groups.

Different OS:es uses different names for the "I do not claim to be
member of any group" group. Most uses "nogroup" for this purpose, some
"nobody". Some only have one of the two, some have both.

The semantics of the group "nobody" is slightly different. Is the group
of everyone not claiming to be anyone in particular.

Any serious setup should create both a unique user and group for Squid
to run as, and the same thing for any other system service. This to
properly partition the permissions in UNIX.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer
MARA Systems AB, Sweden