Re: [squid-users] Problem with some ftp server from windows client (squid is running in debian)

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:56:02 -0600

Carlos José wrote:

> Hi! I'm working hard in linux world but I've some problem that I
> don't fix well. I have squid 2.2.release5 install over one debian
> 2.2.r3. My ip range is 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0.
>
> My problem is that if I try to conect to ftp.compaq.com from any (yes,
> any) any ftp program from windows 98 or nt 4.0 (mozilla, ie, cuteftp,
> ws_ftp, ...) I only get

Looks to me like your firewall is configured to redirect FTP sessions to
Squid.

Confusingly, Squid does support FTP, but only as HTTP requests from
browsers
of ftp://server/file URLs. It does not support the FTP protocol, so real
FTP protocol needs to be handled some other way (socks, maybe).

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025