Re: Re[2]: [squid-users] Unable to open configuration file

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:47:12 +0100

On Monday 14 January 2002 12.36, Alexander Galitski wrote:
> Hello Henrik Nordstrom,
>
> Monday, January 14, 2002, 9:47:02 AM, you wrote:
> >> I was merely quoting the uSer Guide, not passing a personal
> >> opinion. If the User Guide is incorrect, it should be corrected
> >> by someone who knows what the correct ownerships and permissions
> >> should be.
>
> HN> Where does it tell that config files should be owned by squid?
> quoting myself:
> Chapter 5 - the part "Subdirectory Permissions":

> The /usr/local/squid/etc/ directory should be owned by root, group
> squidadm, so that squid-administrators would be able to create and
> update config files. ...
> cd /usr/local/squid/etc
> chmod 2775 .
> chown root:squidadm . *

Exacly. The config files should be owned by root, only writeable by
Squid administrators. This does not make them owned by squid.

The directory is setgroupid squidadm to make sure that any files
created by Squid administrators in this directory will also have the
group squidadm.

Squid should preferably be running as squid:squid

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer

available on request