Re: [squid-users] Puzzled by v2.5 ChangeLog entry

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:16:27 -0700

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002, Steve Snyder wrote:
> I'm puzzled by an entry in the Squid v2.5 ChangeLog:
>
> - Added support for netfilter in linux-2.4. This allows transparent
> proxy connections to function correctly in the absence of a Host:
> header. This requires --enable-linux-netfilter to be passed through
> to configure. (Evan Jones)
>
> Huh? I am currently using a transparent config of v2.4 with Linux's
> netfilter. How does this change effect my current use of Squid? Put
> another way, what behavioral changes in Squid will I see when I upgrade
> from 2.4 to 2.5?

I'm pretty sure that I added the above option to squid-2.4.
It affects squids' ability to nab the real destination IP of the
intercepted connection, so it can use it if a Host: header or
hostname part of the URL isn't supplied.

Most of the time you won't notice it, but for larger ISP type setups,
people have noted that the host component isn't always sent in the
HTTP request, and squid then basically has no idea where to send the
request to.

Adrian