Re: [squid-users] Re: squid-users Digest 16 Jan 2002 07:39:33 -0000 Issue 411

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:46:52 +0100

It depends a little on timing..

Details:

If Squid fails to find the IP address of a specified peer then it
waits for 60 minutes before trying again. If it then hasn't been any
traffic during the last 5 minutes then it waits 3 minutes more, until
there is traffic. Then it tries again to find the IP addresses of the
peer. This continues until addresses are found for the peer.

So if you go online 30 minutes after this message has been printed,
nothing will change wrt the failed peer. If you go online 90 minutes
after the message has been printed and stay online for some minutes,
then Squid will recover.

If you have peers you must use then it is recommended to configure
these by IP address, or add them to your /etc/hosts file (requires
Squid-2.5, or Squid to be compiled with --disable-internal-dns). This
way you are assured that Squid always know the addresses of your
required peers.

The situation also gets slightly different if the peer is configured
using no-query. no-query peers may be used even if the DNS lookup
failed, provided you have enabled the use of no-query peers
(prefer_direct off, or never_direct allow).

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer