Re: [squid-users] cache hardware specification

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:59:56 +0000

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:17:11AM +0100, Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:
> My box (single P2/450) with 6 9GB 7.2Krpm U2SCSI drives does 30 Gb/day,
> with the CPU constantly over 85% during peak hours.
>
> If this is the kind of load you're having, get an AthlonXP with 2-3 gigs
> of RAM, and lots of 10krpm spindles. I figure that with such a
> configuration you could double my traffic, maybe triple it.

Double certainly, tripling probably depends on traffic patterns. On our
systems (PIII-1000, 1.5GB RAM, 7x18GB 10krpm U160 drives), I've pushed 10
million requests and 60GB per day through them at peak request rates of
around 220/sec, though this was close to the limit. I suspect we might do
a little better if most requests were not sent to a parent cache, and that
our newer systems with faster CPU, 15krpm disk and more RAM could do a
little better. I believe around 300 requests/sec is about the fastest any
single instance of a stable squid release has been pushed.

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/