[squid-users] Can't get authentication working with Linux kernel 2.4.17 on Mandrake 8.1

From: Michael Beddow <mbnospam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:47:19 -0000

For three years I've been using squid (2.2 STABLE3 onwards) on RedHat Linux
5.2 with 2.2 series kernels day in day out with a proxy authentication
module and no problems.

All this week I've been trying to do the same on a Mandrake 8.1 platform
with kernel 2.4.17 and getting nowhere. Everything else works, but squid
just throws back the authentication demand to the browser, no matter whether
the authentication module returns ERR or OK. (I have traced this through
several authentication helpers, including one I wrote for testing which
always returns OK).

I've spent all day pulling older versions from the archive and building them
in parallel on the two platforms. From 2.2. STABLE3 thru 2.4. pre5,
authentication works on RH 5.2/kernel 2.2.18, fails on Mdk 8.1/kernel
2.4.17.

Is there something in the way the squid daemon communicates with the
authenticator program that the newer kernel (??or system libraries??)
doesn't like?

Michael

Michael Beddow http://www.mbeddow.net/