Re: [squid-users] SQUID for Maintenance Mode

From: Jan Rasmussen <jan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:29:25 +0100

> is there any option or any way to set squid in a "maintenance" mode
> so if squid is in that mode, any user connects to the proxy get a
> page with the explaination that the System squid is running on is in
> maintenance mode and no request is forwarded?

In itself (AFAIK) Squid does not have a maintenance mode so I gather that
you want to something to pu in place while you tamper with something in
Squid.

Only way I see around this is to setup a second Squid with a simple acl :

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access deny all
deny_info ERR_MAINT all

Then you would ofcourse have to make the ERR_MAINT page, that would tell
your users, that your squid is down for maintenance, preferably with a time
when you expect it to be back online.

Then you either have to shut down your standard squid and start this one (to
let it bind to the same port) or start the "maintenance squid" and start
some portforwarding and work on the "normal squid"

Best Regards

Jan Rasmussen