Re: [squid-users] Configuration Suggestions

From: Jan Rasmussen <jan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:18:26 +0100

> I have setup the 2 drives in a raid 1 configuration (mirrored)
>
> I have split the 36 gig raid volume into the following partitions:
> 2 GB /home
> 4 GB /usr

I don't know what you would want with 2 GB /home and 4 GB /usr, if you are
just going to use this server for squid.

> 5 GB squid cache dir 1
> 5 GB squid cache dir 2
> 5 GB squid cache dir 3
> 5 GB squid cache dir 4

There is no reason to have more than 1 partition per "drive". As you are
running a mirrored RAID stick with just one cache partition with one
cache_dir on it.

> 1. How much memory should I dedicate to squid with the
> cache_mem parameter? I was thinking of 300MB (10MB/per gig
> of cache * 20gigs of cache = 200MB). Is this to much, not
> enough, ok? I thought it should not hurt to have more than the
> 200MB squid would want.

Stick with maybe 32 MB and let the OS use the rest of your memory for
buffers instead.

> 2. With this much space and memory, are there any other options
> that would need special tuning?
If you expect high traffic on the machine, and you can get your hands on a
second CPU you might want to run 2 copies of squid. This is a little more
trickier, as has to have its own ports and cache_dirs.

There are undoubtly others out there, who are wiser and more experienced
than me, so if I made a no-no or you have a better suggestion, please feel
free! :)

Jan Rasmussen