[squid-users] Delay during transaction

From: Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:23:39 +0100

Hello,

I have a weird problem with a squid version 2.4. It runs on a box with 512MB and linux kernel 2.4.10 (SuSE distribution original). The problem shows up regardless what time and date it is and what client, but not continously nor at all clients at the same time.
You enter some URL in your browser, and then you experience a very long delay to the point where the page is completely shown (about 30-60 seconds). If you do not use squid, the problem is completely gone. I can find no bad nameservice setup. The problem even arises if browsing on some _local_ webserver (where there is no delay possible) _and_ even if using local IPs as URLs (there is no nameservice involved then, right?). This is the very first time I saw this phenomenon. It may be that squid waits for some resource, but I cannot find which. There is no lack of file handles either (as far as I can see). 2.4 spawns no separate dns_children, so what could that be?
Ah yes, and after you waited for the page, the next pages come in _fast_ without any delay.

Regards,
Stephan