Re: [squid-users] Shared Cache on a SAN

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:55:49 -0600

Duane Wessels wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Byrne, David wrote:
>
> > I am interested in setting up multiple Squid servers behind a load balancing
> > switch and having them share the same cache space on a SAN. Ideally I would
> > have the servers running as a cluster, but that isn't in the budget right
> > now.
> >
> > Is this possible, or will the different instances of Squid step on each
> > other as they both try to access the cache?
>
> Squid would be confused by this because it is not designed to share
> cache space this way.

...and running off a SAN, unless it's configured for real high performance,
will probably noticeably reduce performance. A cache, being volatile,
is one thing that is not really worth sharing, with disk prices as they
are.

The better bet is to set up the two separate servers with their own
disk space and run using Cache Digests.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025