[squid-users] Cacheing in front of webserver

From: Eric Persson <eric@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:25:17 +0100

Hi !

I have webserver which is very loaded, and I have done quite much to
optimize it. I heard from a friend that it was possible to lighten the
load on a webserver by putting a cache like squid in front of it and
have all visitors accessing squid and squid accessing the webserver. Is
this above, true? I assume it is further down in the mail.

I plan to set this up with squid on port 80 and apache on port 81, maybe
on the lo interface.

So, my questions are the following:

Will this work at all?

How does squid handle querystrings? On this site, almost all traffic
goes trough index.php and depending on querystrings it returns different
pages. Can this be handled by squid?

How will cookies sent by the webserver be handled? Can a login function
on the webserver be handled correctly through squid?

Thanks for your time..

        Eric

--
[ eric persson | eric@persson.tm | www.persson.tm ]