RE: [squid-users] dos attack protection on proxy

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:12:50 -0800 (PST)

The biggest possible dos against a well run proxy server is something like
codered coming from client machines inside you network aimed at the
outside world... The defense against those type of attacks (not codered
necessarily since that's already been identified) is to monitord your
proxy server for unusual spikes in activity, particulalry if they
originate from a single or small number of hosts...

your proxy server should be running a lot of services visible from outside
your netowrk in most cases anyway, so it should itself be hard to dos from
the outside.

joelja

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter Kassies wrote:

> Good luck.
> http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
>
> There are some ways, but none of them are failproof.
> I'm sure if you do not run some high visible website, where marketing people
> claim "most secure site in the world", you're unlikely to become a target.
>
> Peter

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary,
selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of
tyranny. - James Madison, Federalist Papers 47 -  Feb 1, 1788