Re: [squid-users] strange usage of port 80

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 00:13:14 +0100

Because you have not told Squid that it may not go direct.

By default Squid will go direct on requests where it makes no sense
to use a cache peer, or when it cannot reach the peer.

See the never_direct/always_direct directives, or the Squid FAQ entry
4.8 on how to configure Squid behind a firewall.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer

On Friday 08 February 2002 07.59, Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have our squid configured with
>
> cache_peer proxyi1.provinz.bz.it parent 3128 3130
>
> Even with this cache peer set, out firewall tells us that squid
> tries to use the port 80. If we close this port ( for security
> reasons ) the access to the internet is very slow.
>
> Why does squid try to use port 80 if we tell him to go via the
> cache_peer ?
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

> Dr. Andreas Moroder
> Sanitätsbetrieb Brixen - Azienda Sanitaria di Bressanone
> www.sb-brixen.it - www.as-bressanone.it

available on request