[squid-users] DNS Problem

From: William Carty <admin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:57:16 -0500

I set up a Squid box the other day to use for testing purposes. I've
taken it down to my ISP's server room & am running it from there. When
I set up my laptop at the ISP office & try to access sites via the
proxy, everything works fine. When I come home & try the same thing, I
end up getting this message:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.cnn.com/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.cnn.com
The dnsserver returned:

Refused: The name server refuses to perform the specified operation.
This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

Now, I know what that means - I'm just trying to figure out why I'm
getting it. The only difference between when it works & when it doesn't
work is that I'm on two different subnets. I have an ACL set up
allowing access from home. If I try to access a site via the IP address
from home, it works fine - so I'm fairly sure the Squid config is okay.

For the sake of discussing this problem, let's say that the Squid box
uses the following DNS servers: 192.168.0.10 & 192.168.0.11.

From the Squid box:

[will@filter /home]# ping www.cnn.com
PING cnn.com (207.25.71.20) from 123.456.79.99: 56(84) bytes of data.

So the Squid box resolves the name using either of the DNS servers
listed...