[squid-users] basic configuration help

From: Joe Auty <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:28:01 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to use delay pools to limit bandwidth using Squid. I first
tried using the most basic setup (squid.conf) as seen at:

http://ldp.linuxhelp.net/HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/install.html

I'm using this very same conf file with my IP address substituting for
the private 192.168 addresses in the example. I've uncommented lines in
my httpd.conf file to enable proxies, and ensured that port 8080 is open
in /etc/services (I'm doing this under Red Hat Linux), and started squid
(/opt/squid/bin/squid -z first, followed by /opt/squid/bin/squid). I
have not gotten any error messages yet.

This setup doesn't seem to be working for me, as I'm still able to
download files which extensions match my magic words (e.g. .avi, .mov,
mp3, etc.) at much more than 5k/sec... the delay pools seem to have no
effect.

Does anybody have any idea of things I can try to get this working?

Please parden my ignorance here, but know that your help will be very
much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!!