Re: [squid-users] Any ideas

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:11:58 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Isak Badenhorst wrote:

> Anybody who can help in the right direction. I am using squid together with
> squidguard. At this stage I am running a dial-up server for a few clients.
> Squid has being setup as a transparent proxy. If I analyze the access log I
> only get access according to the ip's. Is there anyway I can log a username
> without asking the dial-up client to enter a username and password?

There are some possibilities but they depend on the user having
authenticated (given username and password) somewhere in the sequence of
events leading up to them using your proxy. With transparency you cannot
(easily) get the browser to pass authentication information and certainly
cannot do it without forcing users to give a username and password.

About your only real option is to try and merge the squid logs with the
dialup accounting logs, presuming the latter contains enough information
to connect a username and an IP address.

Colin