[squid-users] Transparent mode fails using SonicWall

From: Sebastian von Ulmenstein <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 15:07:33 +0100

I tried to use Squid in transparent mode, using the proxy-relay feature of a SonicWall Plus DMZ firewall (all http-traffic is transparently routed to a proxy).

Working non-transparent, Squid works well. Turning on the feature of the SonicWall, I get a problem on all sites using redirectors.

It seems like Squid then insists on the original request, i.e. instead of being redirected to a 'moved permanently' site, I get a 'Directory listing denied' of the root level of this site. Other cases show 404-Not found of the original url-tag instead of giving back the redirected url.

I compiled several configurations incl. 'linux-netfilter', tried the standard transparent configs with httpd_accel, virtual host, host_header etc. without success.
The behaviour is the same, doesn't matter if running transparent or not. Direct access always works well.

Thinking there is a problem in the SonicWall, I tried the commercial WebDoubler proxy for Macintosh. It worked without these errors in transparent mode.

Anybody has a hint what happens to Squid and what I need to do to get it to work?

I'm using YellowDog Linux 2.1, Kernel 2.4.10-12a, Squid 2.4 Stable 3.

TIA
Sebastian