Re: [squid-users] "Vary" or "X-Accelerator-Vary"?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:07:14 +0100

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 20.16, Gregory Popovitch wrote:

> I'm using Squid 2.5.pre3 to accelerate a Zope web server. Within
> the web server, I would like to return gzipped pages (or not)
> depending on the Accept-Encoding header.
>
> Of course, for this to work, I would set the "Vary:
> Accept-Encoding" header in my response.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - will this work with Squid 2.5.pre3 (I see in the code that there
> is some support for the Vary header.

Yes. See also http://devel.squid-cache.org/etag/ for a future
improvement (still slightly buggy).

> - I also see a X-Accelerator-Vary header checked in the code.
> Should I use this one instead? Or set both? What is the purpose of
> this header?

No. This header is when you want to signal variance between the
origin server and "accelerator" only, not displaying the fact
externally. Should not normally be used as in most normal cases the
variance information is interesting to the whole chain.

Regards
Henrik Nordström

available on request