[squid-users] Websense with Squid

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:59:32 +0000

I've just been searching the archives and found this:

> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:56:38 +0100
> From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@MARASYSTEMS.COM>
> Subject: Re: [squid-users] intergrating websense with squid
> Comments: To: "Hubbard, Dan" <dhubbard@websense.com>
> Comments: cc: Jason Jin <jason@dataprompt.com>, squid-users@squid-cache.org
> Dan, as you obviously work for the company related to the original question
> and are on this list, care to answer the question? IS is posible to integrate
> websense with Squid on linux platform? Regards Henrik Nordström Squid Hacker

However I don't see a reply in the archives.

I've just been testing, I set up Squid to forward requests to the "parent" ->
The Websense server, running under Linux RedHat 7.2, installed OK and is
running. In the Websense logs, I get:

"Incorrect WISP request header"

or similar, suggesting that WebSense is getting the packets but now uses its
own protocol and headers to identify "partner" appliances.

Now WebSense used to have a standalone "proxy" version which could, I assume,
integrate with Squid. This appears no longer to be available.

So, has anyone analysed / reverse engineered (ouch) the Websense protocol to
make it work with Squid?

Why would they? well... Websense has a nice content database and if I wanted
to stay fully open source, I'd have to use hack it, since all supported
products are appliances or commercial products. I know that you would say that
I should use an open source filter, but in a big network the one thing I would
buy commercially if I wanted a gain in efficiency would be a filter, since
human updated databases do not come open source.

Regards,

--
|-Simon White
|-Internet Services Manager