Re: [squid-users] Websense with Squid

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:48:43 +0000

On 18-Feb-02 at 23:21, Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom)'s inspired musing was thus :
> > I've just been testing, I set up Squid to forward requests to the
> > "parent" -> The Websense server, running under Linux RedHat 7.2,
> > installed OK and is running. In the Websense logs, I get:
> >
> > "Incorrect WISP request header"
>
> What the heck is a WISP request header?

Websense appear to have developed their own protocol, listening on 3 ports:
one to filter, one for 'messages' and one for config. These are user definable
but default to 158xx. WISP is probably something like the "Websense
Integration (selective) Protocol" since it appears to be closed and available
only with the official SDK and partnership contract (which clearly they can
never deal with Squid).

> Tried bugging websense about being able to subscribe to their content
> classification service while using Squid?

Yes. Their official reply to me 12 months ago was "Squid integration by June
2001", now it's "No integration with Squid". I wrote them and told them to get
up and support it, open up the WISP protocol, give it to some Squid hackers...
have it integrated in no time at all.

This all started because I even sold a Websense, thinking it would be a snap
to integrate with Squid, and now have to find an alternative solution (short
of installing on a device which is integrated with Websense, sniffing a few
packets, and hacking Squid to send WISP headers... not exactly an easy task).

I cringe to think I'll have to pay for some Cache appliance when I already
have a fantastic machine with loads of RAM, SCSI disk, and fast processor all
ready and running Squid.

Simon.

--
|-Simon White