Re: [squid-users] FW: New project with Squid

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:30:15 +0100

On Monday 25 February 2002 20:01, Abreu, Giordano wrote:

> - Is Squid compatible with SUN Solaris 8 and E250 plataform ?

> - Does Squid support athentication via LDAP ? (Windows 2000
> Active Directory)

> - Does Squid support SOCKS v5 ?

No. Squid is a HTTP proxy. For SOCKS you need to install a SOCKS
proxy. Both can run in parallell on the same machine with no problem.

> - It's possible to migrate users and rules form the Netscape
> Proxy Server to Squid in painless way ?

Probably, but I haven't used the Netscape Proxy Server..

What kind of rules are we talking about here?

If your are using PAC files then you will need a small HTTP server
(for example Apache) from where the browsers can pick up the PAC
file. By using the httpd_accel_host directive Squid can relay
requests for the PAC file to this HTTP server if the browsers request
the PAC file from the same port as manual proxy configuration..

available on request