Re: [squid-users] mIRC

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:52:57 -0600

It's not a security hole for Squid. ;-)

But you're quite right, it serves no purpose to proxy IRC through
Squid--unless he has an overly aggressive or poorly configured firewall
to get around, and would rather change Squid than the firewall. As you
may know, though, many folks mistakenly believe that sending everything
through a 'proxy' (no matter what kind of proxy) is somehow inherently
more secure than a correctly firewalled and segmented network...It just
isn't worth it to argue--a proxy and an insanely tight firewall /will/
provide a pretty good level of security, if at the expense of a lot of
hassle and broken apps that a nicely configured firewall and segmenting
will not cause. I suppose some off-the-shelf firewalls don't have the
capabilities required to achieve a real level of security without a full
lockdown of all except a few proxied ports...