Re: [squid-users] assertion failed: store_dir_diskd.c:1645: "buf"

From: David Carson <david.carson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:50:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply about aufs. My original question may seem like a dumb
one, but I'm continuing to learn about Squid and its capabilities.

I did recompile squid with the following configure options:

./configure --prefix=/opt/squid \
--enable-cache-digests \
--enable-icmp \
--enable-htcp \
--enable-wccp \
--enable-carp \
--enable-unlinkd \
--enable-xmalloc-statistics \
--enable-useragent-log \
--enable-kill-parent-hack \
--enable-gnuregex \
--enable-referer-log \
--enable-time-hack \
--enable-storeio=diskd,aufs \
--enable-cachemgr-hostname \
--enable-dlmalloc \
--with-pthreads

The aufs type compiled with diskd and with threads. Corresponding line
in squid.conf file is:

cache_dir diskd /var/cache/www/data 5000 16 256 Q1=64 Q2=72

I know the Q1 and Q2 parameters are the default values but I have them in
as a reminder. If the above shouldn't have worked, then please tell me.

We use squidGuard as a redirector with Squid. Every so often squid complains
about "All redirector processes are busy". I've increased the number of
redirector processes available, but it makes no difference.

I then began to wonder if squid itself was the problem and there was some
sort of blocking going on. As far as I know, squid only ever uses the top 2
or 3 squidGuard redirector processes.

That's why I've started tinkering with the compile options and the
configuration options of squid. I'm trying to make it efficient as
possible. (To see if that sorts squidGuard.)

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I should compile and configure
squid to run efficiently, especially with squidGuard, then please tell
me. Environment is Intel based machine with 512Mb RAM, with 2 Pentium III
1 GHz processors. Surely the machine is OK to handle squid and squidGuard?
Number of client machines is around 1000 PCs. I'm particularly interested
in the cache_dir size. Squid has a 10Gb partition in which to play, using
standard ext2 file system. (Maybe the problem lies here?)

I don't mind receiving suggestions off list. I'd summarise responses and
post them back.

Again, any help appreciated.

Regards,

DC