Re: [squid-users] ID/PW auth?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 05:42:43 -0600

In that case, this might get you started (you might want pam_auth
instead, if you're pulling from the real system passwd file rather than
an htpasswd file just for Squid--pam is more complicated than this, but
Henrik recently posted some nice tips on it's use, do a search of the
archives to find out more on that):

Add the following lines to the appropriate squid.conf sections:

auth_program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/passwd
acl users proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow users

What is happening here (so you can apply it to some of the other types
of auth):

auth_program is tell Squid where to find the auth helper program--in my
case it is located in the squid lib directory.

The acl creates an acl called 'users', which is of type proxy_auth and
REQUIRED signifies that this ACL will allow logins from all users in the
passwd file, you could instead list the users that can login based on
this acl.

http_access is simply saying that clients that match the 'users' acl (by
logging in) will be allowed.

Hope this will get you started. Note you'll need a standard htaccess
style passwd file for this--the format of this file is:

name:cryptedpass

The password is encrypted with the old-fashioned Unix crypt function.
There are a number of utilities to generate these files, including the
htpasswd tool that comes with Apache.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com