[squid-users] RealVideo Content Protection

From: Ray Taft <ray.taft@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:35:19 -0800

I am using a squid farm to accelerate a content site.

On that content site, we have videos protected by htaccess.

Htaccess prevents people from hotlinking files off our server. I.e.,
stealing bandwidth from us by using our files (images, etc) as src files to
compile another page elseware on the net.

So, we have streaming RealVideo files on this server.

.RMA and RM files.

The .RMA file is simply an ASCII pointer to the location of the .RM file,
the actually video media.

We are still serving the .RMA files from the content site, but use the
pointer (.RMA file) to point the user to the cache server to retrieve the
meat (The .RM File).

Here is the problem. The .RM files are behind a password protected content
site.

What we would like to do is force the squid server to check the refer that
comes through for the .RM file. If the refer came from the domain, IP,
subnet (whatever) that we define in the squid server, then to serve the
file. If the refer doesn't match, then don't serve the file.

Any suggestions?