Re: [squid-users] authticate in accelerator mode

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:03:33 -0600

This is all in the FAQ, Wen.

1. Yes. I'm sure Squid must be in accelerator mode to act as an
interception (transparent) proxy. Follow the directions in the FAQ for
your OS, and you'll have it working in no time.

2. No. Squid cannot authenticate when acting transparently. It can't,
because there isn't room in the HTTP protocol for this to work. You
either explicitly configure browsers to use the proxy via the standard
proxy interface and get authentication, or operate transparently and
don't authenticate. That's the way it is, and it aint gonna change
anytime soon.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com