Re: [squid-users] authenticate in accelerated mode

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 02:41:03 -0600

Was my previous post unclear on this? (And the FAQ?)

When operating as a website accelerator, yes, Squid can authenticate.

When operating as a transparent proxy, no, Squid cannot authenticate.
No you can't write a simple auth helper to do this--the HTTP protocol
doesn't have room for it. This isn't a "lacking feature" of Squid--it
is something that cannot be done in any sane way on any proxy.

Again...That's just the way it is, and it aint gonna change anytime
soon. There was a very lengthy and informative discussion on this very
list less than a month ago, I suggest you read it for more about the
subject:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200202/0147.html

And...Robert Collins (being the brilliant fellow that he is) even
suggests a method that might make it feasible in the future--but it
isn't currently so don't bother asking about it.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com