Re: [squid-users] Bypassing squid proxy

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:14:26 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

As others have pointed out, you have a social problem that cannot be
solved by technology. All that happens when you do is that you get into a
race. You do something, they find a way around it. Someone suggested that
you can rate limit by user. Try that. Squid allows you to set a limit on
how much bandwidth a user can use. That won't stop people sharing but the
reduced throughput might annoy them enough to stop them. Afterall, if I
share my access with you and that sharing makes my access slower, I might
just change my mind.

As I suggested yesterday, you could also limit the number of simultaneous
connections. Again, that is just slowing them down. All you can really do
is to annoy them enough to make them want to stop.

If you enable user agent logging, you might be able to see who's using a
browser and who's using a proxy. Once the users find out though they can
probably change what the proxy sends - squid has that functionality.

Having said all that, all I can do is reiterate what others have said.
It's a management problem. Management must sort it out. If users won't
permit the IT department to audit their computers you have a real problem
that's way bigger than rogue proxy users.

Colin