[squid-users] Wierd problem with internal dns (slow)

From: Mathieu Martin <admmathlists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:55:40 -0500

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading our cache server (little ISP) from squid

2.3 STABLE4 to squid 2.4 STABLE4. I set up a test server on the same box

(another path, another ip) and have problems with the internal dns
system.

Using the default ./configure options, there's always a 3-4 seconds
delay before the browser starts transferring data when I ask for a site
not in cache or when I do a reload on a site which is in cache. With
--disable-internal-dns, it's as fast as it can get (just like the
production 2.3 server). Both production and test squids have the same
configs (except for the path, ip and cache directory). Most settings in
squid.conf are left to default. We have a djbdns dnscache server on the
squid box. /etc/resolv.conf has 127.0.0.1 and two other nameservers. Any

idea what could cause that delay?

Also, I put the test squid in production for a few hours with
--disable-internal-dns, but it looks like the hardcoded maximum number
of dns children (32) is not enough.
I guess I'll just increase the limit in defines.h:
(DefaultDnsChildrenMax). Any possible issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

Mathieu Martin
Network Admin
CoopTel