Re: [squid-users] wccp router configuration

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:19:49 -0600

There was a discussion between Henrik and I about this subject about two
months ago on this list.

I think Henrik's reasoning was pretty much right-on, which is that the
WCCP ID of 0x883 is not defined in the GRE specification, and so to be
GRE compliant the module must drop the packets. The patch allows it to
accept an 0x883 packet and treat it like a standard 0x880 packet
(because they are both standard GRE encapsulated). If the patch were
standard, the GRE module would stop being GRE to the specification.
Wierd, but that's the way things are.

I don't know if sending a patch to the GRE maintainer would lead to it's
eventual inclusion or not. The patch would probably need to be cleaned
up a bit, and possibly made optional in the kernel configuration (i.e.
add a "WCCP packets are accepted by GRE module" option that would ifdef
out the patch if the user wanted strict GRE). It isn't difficult to do,
but I've never really had a strong urge to get it into the official
kernel--the gre module changes so infrequently, it doesn't take much
work to keep the patch in good working order.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com