Re: [squid-users] cachemgr + client

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:09:58 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Rost, Werner wrote:

> Now I have 2 little (?) problems:
>
> 1. Problem with cachemgr
> I am logged on as user root on the server where SQUID is running.
> Entering the command
>
> /usr/local/squid/bin/client -vp 8080 mgr:config
>
> gives following message in cache.log:
>
> 2002/03/12 16:36:08| CACHEMGR: <unknown>@127.0.0.1 requesting 'config'

     Why ?????????????

If you look at squid.conf you'll see that there are two manager URL's that
require a password: "config" and "shutdown". Since the client program has
no "easy" way of including a password, you are stuck. If you read the
source for "cachemgr.cgi" you might be able to work out how to pass the
password in using client's "-H" option.

> 2. Problem with client
> The command (user root logged on server running SQUID)
>
> /usr/local/squid/bin/client -p 8080 http://www.google.de
>
> gives following output::

If you read this output it tells you exactly why your request is denied.
You are running a proxy that requires authentication. Your invocation of
"client" included no HTTP Proxy-Authentication" header (or its data) and
so squid sent back a 407 error code. A browser would at this time pop up a
window asking for a username and password. The "client" cannot do that.

Rreading your config shows no problems with it. You can't get the "config"
because a password is required - all other manager "urls" (eg "storedir")
should work . You cannot get anywhere else because authentication is
required. Be aware that "root" is NOT the same as "manager".

Colin